To Turn Malaysia into a Center of Excellence for Higher Education.
To develop and put in place a higher education environment that encourages the growth of premier knowledge centers and individuals who are competent, innovative with high morale values to meet national and international needs.
• To ensure at least three Malaysian universities are listed among the best 100 universities in the world and that one of the said universities is listed among the world’s top 50 universities.
• To develop at least 20 Centers of Excellence that are internationally recognized in terms of research output, copyrights, publications, research collaborations and to commercialise 10% of research outputs.
• To ensure at least 75% of lecturers in Public Institutions of Higher Education possess PhD or its equivalent and 30% of lecturers in polytechnics and community colleges possess a Master Degree, PhD or its equivalent
• To produce competent graduates to fulfill national and international manpower needs with 75% of the graduates employed in their relevant fields within six months upon graduation.
• To encourage the internationalisation of the country’s higher education by attracting foreign students, making up to 10% of the total student population at diploma, bachelor and postgraduate levels.
• To increase the cohort of individuals (17 – 23 years of age) who have access to higher education to 50% and widen opportunities for lifelong learning of all forms of conventional and non-conventional higher education.
• To ensure that there is continual increment in funding of public universities with a ratio of 30% borned by comprehensive/focused universities, 40% for research universities and the balance by the Government.
• To offer adequate and quality higher education infrastructure, at par with the best practices adopted internationally.
• To offer financing facilities to student with potential and qualified to gain access to higher education.
• To enhance strategic alliances with local and foreign higher education institution, and renowned local and foreign research institution in the field of research, development and commercialization.